Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 6: Conservation of Mass and Energy

 In this week's assignment, I was challenged to find my "most powerful" websites, and I found several. Conservation of mass and energy is a big idea for most middle school students. So I decided to see what's out there. If one of my students wanted to gain a better understanding, what would they do? They would Google the topic.

The very first "hit" I got on the topic was from Wikipedia. This is a website I discourage with my students due to reliability issues. So I moved on. One great website I came across was http://www.neok12.com/Law-of-Conservation.htm. This site has wonderful short videos which are easy to understand. I viewed one on the law of conservation of energy using a bowling ball as part of a pendulum. The teacher gave a great demonstration for his students along with an explanation of what they were viewing.

Another great site I stumbled upon was http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html. This site is great for both teachers and students. This is a video that shows physics in every day life such as: riding in a hot air balloon, listening to a symphony and even visiting a bicycle shop.

My classes contain a wide variety of learners. Some students are in my room just to be exposed to science. I found one website that I could use for my lower learners and also as an activity for early finishers. I came across an online game called "Reduce the Use". This was an online game which guides the user throughout a home with the task of finding ways to conserve energy.You can play the game at  http://www.reducetheuse.ca/.

For further enrichment, I found a great website called "Science Geek". This site had all sorts of activities in chemistry. There are games for every topic including the conservation of matter. One game I could see myself using in my own classroom was "Balancing Chemical Equations". Here, students can practice their skills at balancing chemical equations. This activity is a great way for students to actually see the conservation of matter.  The atoms add up.

Of all the sites I discovered, one did stand out and quickly became my favorite. Learningscience.org is a great website for middle school lessons on forces and motions. Each activity allows the user to manipulate variable and test outcomes. The lesson I found on conservation of energy allows students to manipulate a skateboarder's ramp. You can see an instant graph of the results. I liked the way it showed students how you could only get what you put in. In other words, the skateboarder will only return to a point slightly lower than his starting position. Students have three sections of the ramp they can manipulate to see how it effects the energy. The website is found at http://www.learningscience.org/psc2bmotionforces.htm.

The idea of the physics in music had my attention. I think it would be neat to bring in instruments of different varieties. I would set up a straw in a glass goblet. Then I would play each instrument and have students observe how much movement occurred with the straw. It may be a challenge to bring in the variety of instruments and play them successfully but I am up for it.

2 comments:

  1. Edith,
    I was thinking that you could use the web-site with the presentation on physics in every day life as a spring board activity. It would get students thinking about physics in their lives. They could come up with lists of ways physics impact their lives or even design presentations.
    Jennifer Lederle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    Great idea. That could be part of the Engagement lesson when using the 5E Instructional Model.

    ReplyDelete