Thursday, July 7, 2011

Motivating Students in Science

My husband used to to tell me, in a nice way, that I was the last person he ever expected to become a science teacher. I mean, he couldn't even get me to watch Nova or the Discovery Channel. I had no interest. You see, my first degree was in music. I still love music but after my second child was born, I decided to become a teacher. I went back to school and became a teacher. This year will be my 10th year. I call myself a "late bloomer". My first job was that of a science teacher and I have been one ever since. Sure, I have had to teach other courses once in awhile, but I have always taught science. I absolutely love it.

In the last few years, I have seen a new trend in education. Fewer and fewer students are showing an interest in careers in science, math, and engineering. I thought by promoting my local science fair that I was doing my part. That is a good thing, but there is so much more to be done. I have to find ways to make science engaging for my students.

Think about it. Does the old paper/pencil test really matter? Do they really just tell us what a student memorized? Unless the test has open-ended questions, how are they useful. Students learn by doing. So my goal this year is to find that balance. I want my students to have a hands-on approach to science. I also want them to see that working in science can be rewarding.

Let the journey begin!!!

2 comments: